Jan 30, 2008

How To Get Great Customer Service

Occasionally on The Mom Squad, we'll throw in something silly, just for the fun of it! I hope you enjoy this funny, but sort of true, advice!

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone said, You just can't get good customer service anymore!" Well, actually, you can if you just know how to do it!

I was talking to a friend today about a certain office she needed help from. "Every time I call," she said, "they tell me the person I need isn't here and to call back later." So I told her:

Here's what you do. Instead of calling, just go to the office, go in and ask for what you need. Be sure to take your 3 year-old and your 1 year-old with you, preferably at nap time. When they say, "So and so isn't here right now," you say, "OK, I'll wait." Just plop right down in the waiting chair, get out the noisiest toy you have, and wait. If you still don't get a response, you might try telling the 3 year-old that her sister just said she was a poo-poo head. There's nothing like a toddler cat fight to get people moving! If all these tactics fail, bring out the orange cheese-crackers-with-peanut-butter-inside, and watch the office-workers dance. They will have you out of there in no time! This works for banks, insurance agencies, cell phone stores, you name it. However, it is not necessarily successful at doctor's offices because they have those windows and they can just shut you out.

Now, a tip for when you call someone and get those annoying automated "customer service representatives." Here's how the conversation went last night.

Robot (on speaker phone): Hi, welcome to ______ Mortgage Company, your call is very important to us. If you would like account information, please say, "yes."

Me: (silence)

Robot: I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding your response, If you would like account information, please say, "yes."

Me: (a few snickers with my husband)

Robot: I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding your response, If you would like account information, please say, "yes."

Me: (come on, don't say anything, hold out one more time!)

Robot: Please wait while I transfer you to a customer service representative.

Me: Woo hoo! Jackpot! (high five with Hubby!)

See? I get to speak to a real person, and it only took 2 minutes of resisting the urge to follow directions! I hope these tips make your life a little easier today, and help you get through your to-do list a little quicker!